Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Mom


These past few days have been such a whirlwind for our family. Last week, my mom wasn't feeling fell, so she went to urgent care, got a steroid shot, and went on with her normal daily routines for the week. Well, by Saturday night, she got worse to where my dad had to take her to the emergency room. After spending several hours in the ER trying to get her fever and heart rate back down, they sent her home. On Sunday afternoon, I got the call from my dad telling me that they wanted to admit my mom into the hospital due to an infection in her blood. My heart sank. I knew this wasn't good and now I just had to wait until they got there to get more news.

That night, I didn't sleep at all and just cried. So many things went through my head...How could this happen to my mom? Is she going to be ok? What are the next steps to get her well? Did God move me here because he knew this would happen? I couldn't stop thinking and crying. My mom is everything to me and since moving here, we have gotten even closer than we were before. She is one of my best friends. I was scared of the unknown.

On Monday, I woke up and went through my normal morning routine of getting ready for work, getting the boys up and dressed and running out the door by 6:50. Will is used to getting dropped off at my mom's before school because she takes him so he doesn't have to go to before care. I didn't know how he would do but it didn't effect him at all and he was excited to go to school and play. I headed to work and started preparing for my day and began pulling students. We received a text from my dad about mid morning saying there was no change with all the antibiotics. My sister and I called each other  and both left work and went to the hospital. Again, more questions ran through my head. I just wanted someone to tell me that she would be ok and that she would recover 100%. When we walked in, we all got a little teary eyed. It was the 4 of us together at mom's side. One of the most important values that my parents always instilled in us is that family sticks together no matter what the situation. It was proven through this trial that we would get through it together like we did everything else. Mom would bounce back.

We left the hospital that night still uncertain of what the next steps were which meant another sleepless night for me. On Tuesday morning, dad sent us a text saying that she ran fever Monday night which means they weren't releasing her until she didn't have any fever and that the infection didn't get worse but it didn't improve. I sat and cried in my office at work. I just wanted to be there but I knew I had a job to do and I know my mom would want me to do that. That afternoon, I packed up the kids and took them to see their 'aina.' She looked GREAT! She was moving a little more, had coloring back to her face, and was more talkative. She was getting back to herself again. It was so good seeing her like that and it made it easier to go home that night. They took her off the IV and gave her antibiotics orally to see how she would do. That would be the test if she would go home on Wednesday.

On Wednesday morning, we got the text we were waiting for....SHE IS GOING HOME!!!! Best news to receive! Now the recovery time begins...

No comments: